AN EXTENDED AUDITOR REPORT will provide "more value" to stakeholders, according Accountancy Age readers.
Of 63 readers that voted, 62% said that auditors need to reveal more detail about potential risk, while the remaining 38% of readers said that auditors cannot rubber-stamp management's decisions.
Earlier this month, it was announced that auditors would be required to warn investors about the risks within the companies they audit. The new regulations, proposed by the Financial Reporting Council, were ordered as part of a "step change" in the way audit reports are structured.
Criticism that auditors' reports are uninformative has led to a consultation, launched by the reporting watchdog, to extend their scope to include a commentary of the "risks of material misstatement" identified by the auditor.
Nick Land (pictured), chairman of the FRC's audit and assurance council, said the new rules would provide a step change from the "traditional binary pass/fail model" of audit report.
He added that the proposals "close the circle" by requiring the auditor to disclose information about the audit, within the auditor's report itself.
The consultation period will end on 30 April 2013.
Take part in the latest Accountancy Age poll:
Sign up for Financial Director email alerts
Please enter your email below to receive your profile link
Search by job title, salary, or location - we only list senior financial roles
6.30pm, 16 Jul 2014
Analysing Excellence: How CFOs can drive business decisions by interpreting data
8.30am, 26 Jun 2014
Targeted at FDs and CFOs, the FD Conference 2014 provides a platform in which to learn from outstanding keynotes and network with like-minded peers
The governance and management of the Co-operative Group has been damned in two separate reviews. Richard Crump looks at where it can go from here
Send to a friend