THOMAS Piquemal, the former EDF finance director, has become Deutsche Bank’s new global head of mergers and acquisitions.
Piquemal resigned as EDF CFO in March this year over the French company’s investment decisions over the proposed £18bn Hinkley Point C power plant in Somerset.
He made the decision to step down amid fears the project could jeopardise the company’s financial position.
Piquemal is set to start in the bank’s Paris office today.
The plant – which, if completed, could produce 7% of the UK’s energy – had originally been slated to open in 2017, but repeated delays have led to calls for the timetable to be pushed back.
The China General Nuclear Power Corporation (CGN) struck a deal in October last year to fund a third of the £18bn cost of the project in exchange for a 33.5% stake. However, reports suggest EDF is struggling to source cash for the remaining 66.5%.
Paul Dorfman, honorary research fellow at UCL’s energy institute, told the BBC at the time that EDF also faces strain: “Its shares have crashed to half their value a year ago, profits are down 68% in the last financial year and the budget for Hinkley is bigger than EDF’s entire market value,” he said.
The application of robotics in finance functions is moving faster than predicted. Although, companies are cautious in how they are applying artificial intelligence to ensure results first, many are stepping up their investigations
EU competition commissioner Margrethe Vestager has defended the decision to order technology giant Apple to pay €13bn (£11bn) in back taxes to the Irish government
Carillion has announced the appointment of a new finance director as it reported a rise in first half profits and sales led by strong growth in its support services business
The UK inflation rate hit its highest level in almost two years in July, suggesting that the sharp fall in sterling following the UK referendum to leave the European Union is forcing prices up