ACCOUNTING REGULATION is “toothless”, according to Accountancy Age readers, after HP’s £5.5bn write-down following its acquisition of Autonomy.
Of the 72 readers surveyed, 69% agreed more assertive regulation would have highlighted any accounting improprieties, while the remaining 31% felt better regulation would not have necessarily solved the problem.
Citi analysts criticised the way financial reporting is policed by the Financial Reporting Council, in response to allegations of disclosure failures at Autonomy, the former FTSE 100 technology business acquired by HP.
They laid some of the blame on the way annual reports and accounts are policed by the Financial Reporting Review Panel, an arm of the Financial Reporting Council.
The application of robotics in finance functions is moving faster than predicted. Although, companies are cautious in how they are applying artificial intelligence to ensure results first, many are stepping up their investigations
EU competition commissioner Margrethe Vestager has defended the decision to order technology giant Apple to pay €13bn (£11bn) in back taxes to the Irish government
Carillion has announced the appointment of a new finance director as it reported a rise in first half profits and sales led by strong growth in its support services business
The UK inflation rate hit its highest level in almost two years in July, suggesting that the sharp fall in sterling following the UK referendum to leave the European Union is forcing prices up